Finding the Best in Class Home Health Care
In-Home Care Checklist
What to ask Potential Providers
Choosing a home care provider and inviting the right person into your home or the home of a loved one is not an easy decision. There are many different types of home care specialties, services, reasons for care that can make the choice sometimes confusing to those seeking care for themselves or others. This checklist will help you make an informed decision by ensuring that you have asked the right questions and received information about all of the issues and responsibilities related to finding an appropriate licensed skilled or unskilled provider that meets your unique needs.
- How long has the agency been providing private duty home care?
- Is your Agency Licensed in your state and for the services you require? Ask for proof of license.
- What are the credentials and experience of the staff who perform the screening, assignment and oversight of caregivers?
- Are they fully insured?
- Who employs the caregiver?
- Does the agency manage all payroll and employee-related matters and adhere to state and federal guidelines in its employment practices, such as withholding appropriate taxes, providing workers’ compensation insurance and other benefits?
- Do they also use independent contractors? If so, who employs the person and pays mandated taxes and withholdings in this case? How do they differentiate between the employees and the independent contractors?
- Are references checked and criminal background and drug screens conducted on all employees/personnel they use to staff in homes?
- How does the agency screen and select caregivers prior to an assignment?
- Is there a care professional who, along with the client and family, develops an individualized plan of care?
- How are emergencies handled after normal business hours?
- How often are services monitored?
- Does the agency employ a full-time nurse, social worker or other qualified professional to make regular visits to the client’s home?
- Are you required to sign a contract for services?
- Are costs estimated up front?
- What are the Government’s Rules on Care, Gifting, etc?